League and Cup
Laws & Registration Details
· FIDE laws of chess apply.
· No smoking in the playing area.
· All players must be members of the club they are
· All players must be ECF members, either direct through the
ECF or via Member Organisation, for example the NCCU
· All games are ECF graded
· If captain’s find they have
fixture clashes with other leagues, they should ensure that
matches are re-arranged before the start of the season.
· If a team captain wishes to postpone a scheduled match in
extreme circumstances (but not because their best players
are not available), he has to contact and make know this
postponement or cancellation with the opposing team’s
captain or representative at least 1 week before the
original agreed fixture date.
· Failure to comply with this minimum time limit will enable
the opposing team captain to claim the match.
Matches – Rules (league & cup)
· All matches are played over five
boards unless otherwise agreed by both captains prior to the
· A, B & C Divisions - time control is 35 moves in 75
minutes, then the players receive a further 15 minutes each
to finish the game
· D Division - time control is all moves to be played in 90
minutes. A team containing juniors may at the request of
that team's captain ask for a time limit of 60 minutes for
all moves to be played
Matches – Start of Matches
· All matches are scheduled to start
· Choice of colours will be decided by toss of a coin, if a
team arrives late then they will automatically lose the
· Clocks can be started at 7:30pm if a player arrives late.
· Any player who has not started their game by 8:00pm may
forfeit the game, if the opposing team’s player wishes to
· Grading limits are based on teams
of 5 boards, defaults as per ungraded limits.
· Any team that fails to comply with the grading limits
shall be defaulted 5-0 unless both captains agree to allow
these rules to lapse. The grading officer – to whom results
are sent – shall require confirmation of such changes.
Grading Limits - League
· The ECF grading list should apply
for grading players.
· Division 1 – Unrestricted
· Division 2 – Total board grades MUST NOT exceed 750
(ungraded players count as 150).
· Division 3 – Total board grades MUST NOT exceed 650
(ungraded players count as 130).
· Division 4 – Total board grades MUST NOT exceed 550
(ungraded players count as 110).
· Grading limits are based on teams of 5 boards (defaults as
Grading Limits – Cup
· Birchall Trophy – unlimited.
· Vaux Tankard – Total board grades MUST NOT exceed 650
(ungraded players count as 100).
· Players can only play in one cup
team during a season.
Cup Tie Breaks
· In the event of a draw in the cup,
board count should be used. Each winning board number
should be counted and the lower total should be the winner.
In the event that it is still a tie, the lower graded team
will be declared the winner.
· The home team will normally choose
the type of clock but a visiting player may request an
analogue clock and one will be used if available. If the
visiting player arrives after a digital clock has been
started and requests an analogue clock then only the time
remaining will be transferred to the analogue clock.
Player of the Year
· Eligibility is 70%
· Please make every effort to follow
these rules for the league to run smoothly.
· Captains and players are asked to exercise discretion in
the ethos of the competition.